Tomorrow’s World Today
The disruptive forces shaping the world right now, and how we should respond
We’re not just living in a time of turbulent change – we are actually experiencing an era shift in history. The rules for success and failure are being rewritten, and there’s no “business as usual” anymore. This is true in every industry and every market. Smart leaders need to keep ahead of these changes by anticipating them, and developing a future-focused skill set. The most successful companies are going to be those that build future thinking, adaptability and innovation into their very DNA.
To do this, we need a new toolkit of skills for the leaders and their teams who are navigating exponential change.
This presentation or workshop provides a future-focused leadership toolkit, along with a compelling picture of the near future. It will inspire and inform in equal measure, and leave your team excited about the future while at the same time knowing what each of them can do to help you get there.
It shines a spotlight on five key skills for future-focussed leaders:
- Look beyond the next horizon: This is the heart of the session as we use TomorrowToday’s TIDES Model of Disruptive Change to introduce key areas in which we anticipate disruptive change in the next 5-10 years. This section is constantly updated and highly customised for each client we work with, ensuring the example we choose to look at connect with your team. These include energy, graphene, nanotech, hydroponic farming, the Internet of Things (especially at home), smartphones, genetics, robotics, cyborgs, driverless cars, Millennials, virtual and augmented reality, blockchain, AI/algorithms, 3d printing, the growth of developing markets, the 100 year lifespan, urbanisation, the on demand workforce, and more.
- Be curious and experiment more. The best way to deal with uncertainty and volatility is to develop an experimental mindset. This is the basis of agility and resilience. We lay out the key organisational requirements to make this a reality.
- Embrace Difference. Listen to different voices, actively engage with different thinking. This is not diversity quotas or compliance, but about accessing different worldviews in your team and environment. In a workshop session, we can go deeper here into cognitive biases and thinking skills.
- Sell Solutions not Products. Not just something for the sales team to consider, but for every person in our businesses. As we scan the horizon we must look for opportunities to add value and to push our organisations into the future.
- Deal with limiting orthodoxies. This refers to habits of thinking and action, and “the way things are done around here”, and which of these might be holding us back. We will specifically consider what we measure and reward.
This session is a look at the future, and at the new attitudes and actions required from your people. The presentation or workshop focuses on how your people and leaders can respond, by understanding the nature of disruptive change, looking beyond the next horizon for these trends, getting the whole team involved, experimenting more and confronting limiting orthodoxies.
It’s both eye-opening and practical, and will inspire your team to face the future with confidence and excitement.
If you have 2 hours or more, this framework can be combined with the work we do on SMART people, or work we’ve done on the expectations of clients in a digital world. We also have a 22 part video series to support this program. See the video below for an introduction.